Vietnam allows its foreign travelers to pick up visas on arrival if the same has not been done in advance. But for the purpose, it is important to enter the country via any of its 3 airports (Tan Son Nhat, Noi Bai, Da Nang) as this is exclusively sanctioned for people travelling to the country by air. Overland entries are not given visas on arrival.
Simply put, Vietnam Visa on arrival means procuring a Visa approval Letter from the Vietnam Immigration bureau from a service provider. On presentation of this document at the airport along with relevant documents and visa stamping fees, the visa can be gotten stamped on the passport. A big positive of this procedure is that it can be done 100% online and there is no need to queue up in embassies and consulates for obtaining entry permit.
- VOA is especially beneficial for people who do not live near Vietnamese embassies and consulates
- VOA is also a good idea for people who are not keen to procure visas by mail
Is it legitimate?
It is 100% legitimate to get a Vietnam VOA. The International-Air-Traffic-Association (IATA) recognizes it. Article 24 of ‘Immigration Laws of Vietnam” also states it. Governments of other countries approve this as legitimate too.
A great and cheap alternative VOA is therefore certainly the best choice, especially for travelers who wish to procure the quickest visa to Vietnam.
How is it done?
Vietnam Visa on arrival can be applied for online and does not require you to visit embassies or consulates for the purpose. There is no need to send-off your passport over mail for getting the visa stamped too. The procedure is as follows-
- Fill up the ‘Application Form’ for Vietnam Visa online
- Pay the service charges through the payment method that you are prefer
- Keep a check over your Inbox for the ‘Visa Approval Letter’ to arrive within 24-48 hours.
- Present this letter on arrival at any of the 3 airports mentioned to get your visa stamped.
Note that the service provider whom you are getting the VOA from will forward the copy of the Visa Approval Letter to both you and the Vietnam Immigration authorities posted at the International Airports checkpoints. So when you actually arrive here, your visa documents are already in possession of the Immigration authority. Your visa therefore is quickly issued.
Supporting documents that you need to carry for obtaining your VOA in Vietnam-
- Passport with minimum 6 months validity
- 2 passport size photographs
Things to remember
- Vietnam Visa on arrival is obtainable at its International airports only if you apply online for the Visa approval Letter beforehand and have it ready for presentation when you arrive.
- Overland entries are not sanctioned Vietnam VOA.
- Application form must be filled up correctly with right details and without errors.
- The visa validity date commences from the date that is provided in the form, not the country entry date.
- Applying for 3 months visa is better if you plan to stay in Vietnam for long. On elapse of this, the visa can be extended.
Claudia Martinez is an expert content writer who writes for several blogs and websites including Travel and Visa blogs.